Jul 16, 2010

Healthcare: China v. USA

Friday, July 16, 2010
0

I don't think I'm alone in my belief that the American healthcare system has become a disaster. We seem to be paying more and more money to receive less and less care. While the much-criticized healthcare reform law recently enacted is in theory intended to deal with some of the problems and abuses that have become prevalent, it remains to be seen whether any significant improvment will result.

I've had personal experiences that have helped form my pessimistic view of American healthcare as well as hearing of similar experiences from other people. For example, a few years ago, I was having some stomach problems that caused a lot of pain. After seeing several different doctors over 2 years and being billed God knows what for the battery of tests (thank God, most of it was covered by insurance), I was no better off. No diagnosis, no cure. So I ended up going to a doctor who practiced traditional Chinese medicine who a friend recommended. After a few sessions of acupuncture, acupressure and drinking some herb tea, I felt a lot better. Although not covered by insurance, the cost was much less than what I paid (not covered by my insurance) for all the fancy modern Western healthcare.

More recently, when I went to Tibet last month, I got sick shortly after arriving (bad headache and fever). This isn't uncommon since the severe change in altitude can cause altitude sickness. The next morning, although I was feeling a bit better, my colleagues convinced me to go see a doctor to make sure it wasn't anything more serious. So I walked down the street with a Chinese colleague to a Chinese hospital. After waiting for a little while, I saw a doctor who gave me a basic exam and concluded that there was nothing serious wrong with me. I just had the typical altitude sickness which would run its course (I felt much better within 24 hours). The total cost was about $1.00. Now if this had been in the USA, I would have waited a lot longer to see a doctor, I'd have paid a $30 co-payment, and my insurance company would probably have been billed a couple hundred dollars.
Plus, its almost guaranteed that an American doctor would have had me undergo several expensive tests (to bill the insurance company much more) in order to reach the same diagnosis that I got for about $1.00. The Chinese hospital wasn't quite as fancy as you'd find in the U.S., but given the choice, I'd opt for the Chinese system any day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment