Mar 21, 2014

Chinglish - Price Lie

Friday, March 21, 2014
0

Like most foreigners living in China, I'm often amused at the strange English translations of things on public signs. On my way to the gym this morning, I noticed one of the best Chinglish examples I've encountered.



If there was ever a reward for honesty in lying, the creator of this sign should get it. I'm not exactly sure what the store is selling and couldn't see since it's located on the second floor of the building and nothing but the sign is visible from the ground (I was too lazy to walk up and look). However, any store that lies about it's prices and is honest enough to inform you about it in advance deserves respect so I encourage anyone to go there and buy whatever they're selling at whatever prices they're actually charging.


Obviously, the sign should say "price list" which seems to be what the Chinese characters say - price is 价 (j) and list is 表 (biǎo). But price lie is much more amusing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment