Mar 29, 2013

Where’s the Rice?

Friday, March 29, 2013
0

I don’t know if the old lady that asked where’s the beef for Wendy’s is still around, but if so, she should come to China where McDonald’s (or 麦当劳 ; mai dang lao in Chinese transliteration) now offers a double-burger, double-sausage sandwich which I hereby dub “the McMeat Monster” or “Mc肉怪物(McRòu Guàiwù). This beefy behemoth consists of two beef patties, 2 sausages, topped with mustard and contained within a bun. Vegetarians beware – you won’t find a shred of anything green here – no lettuce, tomato, pickles or even (Buddha forbid) rice.


I try not to eat at McDonald’s too often (although the breakfast McMuffins sometimes lure me in), but I found myself passing by one and for some inexplicable reason, had to give the McMeat Monster a try. As this Chinese commercial dares viewers: “Who can be more macho than I? See whose better in bravery and brawn”



I’m not sure how I fare in terms of bravery and brawn, but I’ve never been afraid of food. While one review in Beijing Cream raves about it, my opinion is a bit less enamored. First of all, its not quite as big as it looks from the advertisements although that’s probably a good thing. The 2 burgers were a bit smaller size than what I think you’d get in America. As far as taste, it was pretty good – nothing spectacular and I doubt I’ll order it again, but it was worth a try.

The McMeat Monster meal combo which, in addition the burger, includes fries and a drink costs 20 (about U.S. $3.20). Anyway, I should probably eat nothing but Chinese cabbage for the next 3 days to make up for this gluttonous indulgence.

0 comments:

Post a Comment